B. S. Forestry & Natural Resources
Advising & Forms
Links and Curriculum Documents
Declare Concentration or Minor
To declare a concentration, send an email to email@example.com with a subject line of "Concentration/Last Name".
In the body of the email, provide the following information:
- Full Name
- Empl ID
- Catalog Year (i.e., 11-13, 13-15, 15-17, etc.)
- Concentration you wish to pursue* - Please include the official name for your chosen concentration.
* Make sure your chosen concentration is available for the catalog you are following.
Refer to http://www.catalog.calpoly.edu for the current catalog.
If you are declaring an Individualized Course of Study (ICS), an ICS form must be signed by a faculty advisor. ICS forms are available in the NRES department office in Building 180, Room 209.
Senior Project Course Options
- ERSC/NR 476: Senior Project - Advanced Internship Experience in Environmental Science/Mgmt. (3 units, supervision)
- ERSC/NR 477: Senior Project - Research Experience in Environmental Science (3 units, 1 lecture, 2 labs) - This course is only offered during Winter Quarter
- ERSC/NR 478: Senior Project - Current Topics in Environmental Science/Mgmt. (3 units lecture) - This course is offered Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters
- ERSC/NR 479: Senior Project - Independent Study (3 units, supervision) - This course is offered every quarter
Senior Project Supervision (476 or 479)
- DRAFT Senior Project Manual | Senior Project Rubric
- Purchase reference "The Literature Review." Available in Bookstore.
- Develop Project Proposal.
- You will propose a topic area for the Senior Project and a description of how that project will be implemented. The description will include, at a minimum, the topic area of study and the physical location for the research project (if applicable), procedures, timeline/flowchart for activities and cost estimates. A sample timeline/flowchart and cost estimate page is provided for you in the Senior Project Manual.
- Review your proposal with Senior Project Advisor.
- Register for 476 or 479. Your Senior Project Advisor will provide a registration code for you.
Change of Major Policies and Procedures
Forestry & Natural Resources Major
Effective Fall 2016
Change of Major Procedures:
Students interested an NRES major must first consult with NRES Academic Advisor, Sara Arnett (Bynum). Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (805) 756-7574 to schedule an appointment.
After meeting with the advisor, please set up a meeting to develop an ICMA with the Department Head, Professor Greg Brown, by calling the department office, 756-6390
- Completion of NR 141 (offered Fall term only), or NR 215
- Completion of BOT 121, or CHEM 111, or SS 121
- Completion of Math 161 or MATH 221 (or equivalent course)
- Receive a C or better in each course
- If course requirements have been met with a cumulative Cal Poly GPA of 2.3, an ICMA can be initiated.
- If course requirements have not been met, student may enter a one-quarter or two quarter ICMA contract to meet requirements. If one quarter contract, student must achieve a minimum GPA of 2.3 with full-time enrollment (12 or more units). With a two quarter contract, student must achieve a minimum cumulative Cal Poly GPA of 2.3 for the two quarters combined with full-time enrollment (12 or more units each quarter).
- Must be able to complete degree requirements within a timely manner.
Note: If you are a freshman, the criteria may include your initial eligibility in lieu of some or all of the above requirements.
Do not start these requirements without entering into an ICMA because it can negatively impact your registration and/or land you on administrative academic probation!
Double Counting Courses
As the catalog states, "Courses from the student's Major department may not be used to fulfill GE Area C4 and D5." However, if those courses are cross-listed with another department and approved by GE, they can be double-counted. In NRES's case that's ES/NR 360 and ES/NR 308. Area F courses can be double-counted. Here is the policy:
- ES/NR 308: double-count in concentration and it satisfies D5.
- ES/NR 360: double-count in concentration and it satisfies C4
- NR 312: double-count in concentration and it satisfies Area F
- NR 317: an Area F course but ENVM/FNR students cannot take it for credit (see catalog)
Remember you don't get 8 units for 4. Also, it is important to discuss double-counting with your academic advisor since they must approve it.
Blanket Curriculum Substitution
|Catalog Year||Major||Old Requirement||New Requirement|
|13-15||FNR- Wildland Fire and Fuels Mgmt||NR 455 (4)||NR 455 (4) Or NR 455 (3) + 1 unit of free elective|
|09-11 and prior||ENVM||ENVE 330||ENVE 330, NR 311 or any upper-division NR, BIO, SS, CRP or ZOO course|
|07-09 or prior||FNR or ENVM||FNR 419||NR 320|
|All||ENVM||BIO 301||NR 142|
|2000 or prior||FNR||AG 250/CSC 113||Any Area F|
|05-07 or prior||FNR and ENVM||SS 440||SS 440 or SS 323|
|03-05||FNR and ENVM||BIO 227||BIO 427|
|98-99||FNR||STAT 313 or Math 221||STAT 313 or college calculus|
|FNR||ENGL 218||ENGL 215 or 218|
|97-98 or prior||FNR||AE 237||BRAE/NR 247|