Degree Programs

Student Resources

Support NRES

CLUB Meetings and Events

Club involvement

Get Involved!

Check out CLUB events…

Preparing passionate leaders driving change in sustainability and stewardship of the environment.

  —Our Mission

B. S. Environmental Earth & Soil Sciences

Advising Office Hours

Advising & Forms

Links and Curriculum Documents

Declare Concentration or Minor

To declare a concentration, send an email to with a subject line of "Concentration/Last Name".

In the body of the email, provide the following information:

  • Full Name
  • Empl ID
  • Major
  • Catalog Year (i.e., 13-15, 15-17, 17-19, etc.)
  • Concentration you wish to pursue* - Please include the official name for your chosen concentration.

* Make sure your chosen concentration is available for the catalog you are following.

Refer to for the current catalog.

If you are declaring an Individualized Course of Study (ICS), an ICS form may be signed by your Academic Advisor or Faculty Advisor. ICS forms are available in the NRES department office in Building 180, Room 209.

Senior Project Course Options

  • ERSC/NR 476: Senior Project - Advanced Internship Experience in Environmental Science/Mgmt. (3 units, supervision)
  • ERSC/NR 477: Senior Project - Research Experience in Environmental Science (3 units, 1 lecture, 2 labs) - This course is only offered during Winter Quarter
  • ERSC/NR 478: Senior Project - Current Topics in Environmental Science/Mgmt. (3 units lecture) - This course is offered Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters
  • ERSC/NR 479: Senior Project - Independent Study (3 units, supervision) - This course is offered every quarter

Senior Project Supervision (476 or 479)

  1. pdf DRAFT Senior Project Manual | Senior Project Rubric
  2. Purchase reference "The Literature Review." Available in Bookstore.
  3. Develop Project Proposal.
    • You will propose a topic area for the Senior Project and a description of how that project will be implemented. The description will include, at a minimum, the topic area of study and the physical location for the research project (if applicable), procedures, timeline/flowchart for activities and cost estimates. A sample timeline/flowchart and cost estimate page is provided for you in the Senior Project Manual.
  4. Review your proposal with Senior Project Advisor.
  5. Register for 476 or 479. Your Senior Project Advisor will provide a registration code for you.

See Kennedy Library Senior Project Information

Change of Major Policies and Procedures

Environmental Earth & Soil Sciences Major

Effective September 2015

Change of Major Procedures:

Students interested an NRES major must first consult with NRES Academic Advisor, Meagan Groom. Email, or call (805) 756-7574 to schedule an appointment.

After meeting with the advisor, please set up a meeting to develop an ICMA with the Department Head, Professor Greg Brown, by calling the department office, 756-6390


  1. Completion of ERSC 144, or SS 121, or GEOL 201
  2. Completion of CHEM 127 or PHYS 121, or PHYS 141
  3. Completion of Math 161 or MATH 141
  4. Receive a C or better in each course
  5. If course requirements have been met with a cumulative Cal Poly GPA of 2.3, an ICMA can be initiated.
  6. If course requirements have not been met, student may enter a one-quarter or two quarter ICMA contract to meet requirements. If one quarter contract, student must achieve a minimum GPA of 2.3 with full-time enrollment (12 or more units). With a two quarter contract, student must achieve a minimum cumulative Cal Poly GPA of 2.3 for the two quarters combined with full-time enrollment (12 or more units each quarter).
  7. Must be able to complete degree requirements within a timely manner.

Note: If you are a freshman, the criteria may include your initial eligibility in lieu of some or all of the above requirements.

Do not start these requirements without entering into an ICMA because it can negatively impact your registration and/or land you on administrative academic probation!

back to top