Degree Programs

Student Resources

Support NRES

CLUB Meetings and Events

Club involvement

Get Involved!

Check out CLUB events…

Preparing passionate leaders driving change in sustainability and stewardship of the environment.

  —Our Mission

Advising & Forms

NRES Department Academic Advisor

Meagan  Groom

Meagan Groom

Phone: 756-7574
Office: 74M-A

cap and tassel Meagan Groom, the NRES Academic Advisor, assists undergraduate students with:

  • Proper course selection and degree requirements
  • Using and interpreting the Degree Progress Report
  • Understanding and adhering to academic policies
  • Supporting students on academic probation, disqualification, and readmission to the university
  • Providing suggestions and referrals for other campus support services

The CAFES Peer Advising Center is staffed with well-trained, experienced students to help with schedule planning (PASS, Registration, PolyPlanner, etc.) and related general academic questions.

CAFES Peer Advising

Bldg. 74M-A
(805) 756-7574

DROP-IN HOURS with Peer Advisors from 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:30 M-Th and 9:00-12:00 on Friday.

For further information please visit the CAFES Advising Website.

NRES faculty provide additional advising for students. Each student is assigned a faculty academic advisor based on academic focus. Please see the following faculty members for major-specific questions regarding course substitutions:
EESS students see Dr. Chip Appel
ENVM students see Dr. Priya Verma
FNR students see Dr. Samantha Gill

Links and Curriculum Documents

Declare Concentration or Minor

To declare a concentration, send an email to with a subject line of "Concentration/Last Name".

In the body of the email, provide the following information:

  • Full Name
  • Empl ID
  • Major
  • Catalog Year (i.e., 13-15, 15-17, 17-19, etc.)
  • Concentration you wish to pursue* - Please include the official name for your chosen concentration.

* Make sure your chosen concentration is available for the catalog you are following.

Refer to for the current catalog.

If you are declaring an Individualized Course of Study (ICS), an ICS form may be signed by your Academic Advisor or Faculty Advisor. ICS forms are available in the NRES department office in Building 180, Room 209.

Change of Major Policies and Procedures

Change of Major Procedures:

Students interested an NRES major must first consult with NRES Academic Advisor, Meagan Groom. Email, or call (805) 756-7574 to schedule an appointment.

After meeting with the advisor, please set up a meeting to develop an ICMA with the Department Head, Professor Greg Brown, by calling the department office, 756-6390

Environmental Earth & Soil Sciences
Environmental Management & Protection
Forestry & Natural Resources

back to top